Saturday, April 4, 2009

Week 7 Thing 16

I think that Wiki's could be very useful for class group project. The students could communicate and edit a project on the wiki without their parents having to run them here and there. They may even be less distracted if they were not all in the same room together:) I watched the video on Wikis In Plain English and liked how they used the example of planning a camping trip. I agreed with them that sometime it is hard to keep track of all the emails and this is a better way. However, I have a few questions that I did not find the answer to. I was wondering if you can limit the people who join you wiki?...and if you can make some things so that they cannot be edited?

2 comments:

  1. You can indeed limit who sees the wiki and/or who can participate on the wiki.

    The thing that I find most powerful about Wikis is also the thing that is the most frustrating. The wealth of ideas can be so powerful but only if people make it a task to participate.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points, Ann.
    Can't say as I have started participating in the two wikis I am involved with since I played with this thing. It will come soon.
    Angela, I love the collaborative editing piece though many of the students we work with in our Title 1 school do not have access to this technology at home.

    ReplyDelete