Saturday, April 18, 2009

Chapter 7 Online Safety and Security

This is one of my biggest concerns. When we were learning about wikis that was one of my concerns. I have questions about who can join a wiki and can you control what information gets edited.

The other month at school some students were logging on to the computers in my room and I saw that one of the students had changed there screen background into a picture of a ton of different guns, which in my mind is inappropriate. I think that there are many good security measures in place and with open and honest communication we can help prepare our students to make good choices.

I liked the survey used by Deer Park Elementary in Fairfax, Virginia which helps initiate conversation with students.
While I understand why schools block YouTube, there are many useful, educational videos on that site. Some of which I used to assist me with learning to use some of the Web 2.0 tools out there.

I appreciated the section on Other Alternatives and plan to check out some of the websites.

1 comment:

  1. There is a delicate balance between security and usefulness on the web. It is going to be an ongoing issue for schools as the internet continues to change. And change fast. I believe that we need to think seriously about the pedagogical reasons for using a particular tool and then if we find it important, we need to figure a way to do it safely.... :-) it is never going to be a simple issue

    Ann

    ReplyDelete